The other day I realized that it only takes 3-5 minutes to begin to teach our children about social justice and equity. As a female social work educator of color raising a brown boy in the U.S. this is very important to me. But I also realized ALL parents can do this. And the way to do it is very simple. In the next few blog posts I will be sharing examples of how I have done this. Our son is very curious and is a keen observer. He asks lots of questons which provides opportunity for us to teach him about diverse populations, inequity, justice, acceptance, and social action.
Stay tuned for specific lessons. But for now, here are a few tips to get you started:
1. listen to your child and answer their questions. Invite them to ask questions. Peak their curiosity.
2. Don’t ignore them or brush them off.
3. Don’t hush them.
4. Don’t shy away from uncomfortable topics.
5. Don’t be afraid to look up what you don’t know or refer to a friend.
6. Keep it simple. Use a children’s book or story to help you.